Elio’s Arrival

Please submit your birth story via email to femconscious@yahoo.com with a title and your name. 😊

We look forward to reading and sharing your crazy and amazing stories.

Elio’s Arrival

I didn’t have a traditional “I’m in labor” experience due to my scheduled induction. I was due December 17th or 18th of 2018. Yes, I had two different due dates. My induction was scheduled for one main reason… My doctor was located two plus hours away (via train and bus) or one plus hour away (via car) and the thought of that alone had me on edge.

Honestly, I was scared out of my mind about the thought of birth. Being pregnant was so surreal and I didn’t know what would have actually transpired when the day came that I’d have to push. I was terrified that I would have to have a caesarean (every one of my sisters did before me so I had it in my mind that I would go through the same). Keep reading to find out if I did.I was told to call the hospital at 7:30pm on Monday, December 10th, 2018 to ensure that there was a room available for me. I traveled from the Bronx to Queens, where my husband worked at the time so that I could be closer to the hospital. When I called a room was available. I was so nervous! I headed to South Nassau Communities Hospital in Long Island without my husband because he got off later that night and the plan was to meet me there, since we both know it was going to be a process when I got there. He took off work the next 2 days.

When I got there, it took me about 3 minutes to get checked in. They started hooking me up to the IV. I’m not that good with times but before my husband got there, around 9pm they checked me and I was only 1cm dialed. They induced me by inserting the medicine into my cervix. (Checking and inserting was so painful). I was slowing dilating after that. I believe it was 4 or 6 hours after, they inserted another and I only dilated up to about 3 cm. My husband got there around 12:30am on the 11th and I was soooo hungry because I hadn’t eaten anything since about 3pm on the 10th. I was advised not to eat and try to sleep.

Around 10am on the 11th my doctor came in, checked me and I was only 4 cm! I wasn’t even feeling contractions that much. She pointed out to me that I was getting small contractions. I wasn’t aware that it was that because I had felt them before, like slight tightening of the stomach. After just checking and resting for hours they decided to break my water that afternoon. I said okay because I was ready! It felt like I was sitting in a pool with the amount of liquid that came out. Let me tell you, the contractions that kicked in after that felt like my stomach was at war. They asked me if I wanted epidural about 4 times before I caved and eventually took it.

After the epidural I didn’t feel anything! And that was such a relief. They inserted a catheter and monitored my contractions and baby boy’s heartbeat. They checked, only 6 cm around 7pm. After monitoring for about 1 hour they notified us that his heartrate was dropping every time I had a contraction and wait for it…if that continued I would need a cesarean (c section). My heart dropped because I didn’t want to have to recover from a C-section and now I have to think about our baby’s heart rate. I was scared for both of us. They monitor for another 45 minutes to 1 hour and there was no improvement. We had to prep for surgery. This was about to happen!

I wasn’t aware of the time we went in but Elio took his first breath outside my womb at 10:35pm on December 11th 2018. I didn’t know what to feel at that second when I heard him cry. They brought him over to me and I was so in love! They took him to the side to weigh and measure him as they stitched me back up. After he came out I instantly felt cold. They had to cover me with a blanket. We went to a room for recovery for about 2-3 hours and since we were both fine we got to go to our room for the remainder of the stay.

Our room was beautiful! The hospital was beautiful! And the employees were kind. I wanted to walk as soon as I could because I knew that the sooner I walked, the sooner we could go home. It was rough trying to get up. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and was prescribed medication. We got to go home Friday of that same week and my husband went to work straight from the hospital. I had regular doctor’s visits and I was referred to a cardiologist to keep up with my blood pressure. I had to change my diet, stay on medicated, and monitor my pressure daily, change and taper my dosage when advised by my cardiologist. A few months later it was back to normal.

If you asked me what I would have liked differently I would say nothing. I wouldn’t have it any other way! Our baby boy is here, healthy and so am I. So I wouldn’t trade my experience for anything.


Published by Crissy DXCII

A mom and wife who love to write poetry and empower women. Working in the financial field as a licensed Life Insurance Agent and a licensing coach. Thank you for visiting our website 😊

2 thoughts on “Elio’s Arrival

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s